That changed again with the agreement. “Once Operation Peace Spring is cancelled, the United States agrees not to pursue new sanctions in accordance with the Executive Order of October 14, 2019,” reads the 12th article of the U.S.-Turkey agreement. The United States and Turkey today announced a historic agreement at the end of a week of hostilities in Syria`s border region: the agreement between the two NATO allies came on Thursday following talks between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and US Vice President Mike Pence in the Turkish capital. Ankara. The deal also does not mention Syrian President Bashar al-Assad (or his Russian and Iranian supporters), who has since allied himself with the Syrian Kurds. He has moved to part of Kurdish territory and, as Assad and Turkey are technically enemies in the Syrian war, it does not seem that he is taking Turkey nicely, that he is only devouring Syrian territory. SDF commander Mazloum Kobani told Ronahi TV that the group would accept the ceasefire agreement with Turkey in northern Syria, but that it was limited to border areas between the towns of Ras al-Ain and Tal Abyad. To create a functioning safe zone and address Turkey`s domestic concerns, the agreement stipulates that heavy weapons delivered to the YPG must be collected. The agreement also states that fasteners and other combat positions must be disabled. As part of the deal, the U.S. will facilitate the withdrawal of the YPG from the area designated as a safe zone in the next 120 hours, starting with Thursday, a pause for Turkish forces.
Once completed, the U.S. will honor its first promise regarding the YPG in the past four years. But while it prevented, at least temporarily, the most serious conflict between Turkey and the United States in years, the agreement was immediately the subject of criticism, including from the United States. Lawmakers who had themselves introduced sanctioning laws earlier in the day. With the recent agreement, the United States recognized for the first time the reasons for Turkey`s operation. But moments later, Cavusoglu said the deal did not include such an obligation. The deal announced by Vice President Pence after hours of negotiations appeared to give the Turkish leader most of what he was looking for when his military launched an attack on northeastern Syria just over a week ago: the expulsion of Syrian Kurdish militias from the border and the removal of a U.S. threat to impose sanctions on Turkey`s fragile economy. “The deal leaves Turkey hooked for slaughtering innocent civilians and Kurdish troops who fought alongside US soldiers against ISIS,” Hassan said in a statement. “Moreover, it is doing nothing to take back the hundreds of IS soldiers who have already fled Kurdish prisons.” At Oct. 22 Turkey also concluded an agreement with Russia to allow the YPG/PKK terrorist group to withdraw from the safe zone. U.S.
special representative for engagement in Syria James Jeffrey said the deal depended on syria`s central northeast and turkey was in separate talks with the Russians and Syrians on other parts of the region. Pence called the deal a ceasefire, although Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said it was a “pause in the Turkish operation” and “not a ceasefire.” Mazloum Kobane Abdi, the commander of the SDF, said in an interview with a Kurdish TV channel: “We have accepted this agreement and we will do everything in our power to make it work.” But the text of the agreement is “only the beginning,” he said, adding that “the Turkish occupation will not continue.” “What President Trump agreed to today is a capitulation to Turkey at the expense of our Kurdish allies,” Senator Maggie Hassan, a Democrat, said in a statement, saying, “The deal is moving Turkey away from the hook of slaughtering innocent civilians.” Meanwhile, Mazloum Abdi, the commander of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), led by YPG spearheads, confirmed late Thursday that his fighters would abide by the agreement.